Role: ESG Manager
Role type: Permanent
Reporting to: Head of ESG
Location: London, Manchester, or Birmingham
BGF is the UK’s most active provider of long-term capital to small and mid-sized companies. Established in 2011, BGF has already invested £2.5+ billion in a portfolio of 500+ growing companies. Our portfolio companies span all sectors of the economy and includes businesses such as Gousto, Emma Bridgewater, Elvie, Joe&Seph’s and Seasalt.
With over 190 talented staff operating from a network of 16 offices, we invest at all stages of growth, from early to quoted, investing between £1m and £20m for a minority stake in a business. In 2018, BGF was the first investment company to win a prestigious Queens Award for Enterprise and Innovation. Our digital and technology transformation programmes are at the forefront of our continued growth strategy.
The ESG Manager will play a critical role in enhancing BGF’s approach to good growth, emphasising climate and nature-based risks and opportunities. This position will focus on supporting the BGF's internal performance and engaging with portfolio companies to drive sustainable practices and compliance with relevant standards. This role offers opportunities for professional development in the field of ESG, with a an opportunity to lead exciting projects for BGF and the portfolio. The incumbent will gain valuable experience in sustainability strategy, risk management, and stakeholder engagement, positioning them for further career advancement in the ESG domain.
- Sustainability strategy development: Contribute to developing and implementing sustainability strategies within BGF, with a particular focus on environmental performance. Understand and analyse the impact of climate and nature-based risks on BGF and the broader investment portfolio.
- Standards compliance: Ensure BGF is aligned with the requirements of UK and EU-focused reporting standards such as the UK Sustainable Disclosure Requirements (SDR), Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD).
- Portfolio company engagement: Collaborate with portfolio companies to enhance their ESG performance, aligning with BGF goals and leveraging BGF’s expert pool to provide solutions to companies.
- Communication: Support communication on ESG performance and learnings for internal and external stakeholders.
- Continuous learning and development: Stay updated with the latest trends, regulations, and best practices in climate and environmental risk management.
- Strong understanding and interest in ESG and in particular climate and nature-based risks, and their impact on companies.
- Familiarity with UK and EU reporting standards (UK SDR, TCFD, TNFD).
- Ability to engage effectively with internal teams and external partners.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and reporting skills.
- Experience in climate risk modelling and analysis.
- Strong knowledge of Social and Governance (S and G) aspects of ESG.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion:
BGF is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their gender, ethnicity, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, age, nationality or socio-economic background. As part of the application process, you will be asked to provide personal information related to diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept confidential and will not be used to evaluate your candidacy. We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment processes and implement the necessary interventions that promote greater equity, diversity, and inclusiveness.